Chickpea Apple Salad
This Chickpea Apple Salad is a great plant-based protein and carbohydrate combination. Chickpeas in particular are a good source of vitamin B6 and that’s important for immune system, cellular formation, metabolism and brain function.Try it over mixed greens, on your favorite gluten free bread topped with an avocado, tomato and sprouts or stuff it all in a pita.
You can play with the spices by eliminating the dill and adding curry or turmeric powder and leaving the pickle out if you prefer. Quick pickled onions would be a great addition as well. Enjoy the flavors as you support your immune system and brain function- we could all use support with those!
- 1 15-ounce can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 stalk celery finely chopped (¼ cup)
- ½ cup apple diced
- 1 Tbsp red onion minced
- 1 small dill pickle (I like Bubbies brand) finely chopped
- 2 tsp dill weed
- ½ cup Everyday Lemon Tahini Dressing see below OR Vegan mayonnaise
Everyday Lemon Tahini Dressing
- 1/4 cup warm water, plus more if desired
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 1 ½ Tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 clove garlic finely minced or grated
- 2 Tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp freshly ground black pepper
To make the dressing:
- Combine all the dressing ingredients in a bowl and whisk until evenly blended. If the dressing is thicker than you’d like, whisk in water by the tablespoonful to achieve the desired consistency. (Stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator, the dressing will keep for 1 week. Freeze for longer storage)
To make the chickpea salad:
- Put the chickpeas into a large bowl and use a potato masher or a fork to mash them partially, leaving about half of the chickpeas whole.
- Add the celery, apple, onion, pickle, dill, ½ cup of dressing and mix well. Season with pepper, then taste and adjust the seasonings. Add more dressing if desired.
- Serve over mixed greens or spread over gluten free bread and top with tomato, avocado and sprouts.