Nutty Stuffed Delicata Squash
This recipe comes together quickly, but will take about 40 minutes to bake depending on the size of your squash. The one I used in this recipe was pretty large for a Delicata. But this recipe works with any size squash. Delicata is easy to work with because there’s no need to peel this squash, the skin is tender enough to eat and doesn’t really have much flavor. Just be sure to wash the squash before using.
The filling is a combination of sauteed onions, garlic and nuts. I used almonds and walnuts, but pecans and pine nuts could be thrown into the mix as well. To bind these together we’ll mix equal parts chickpea flour and water, add some nutritional yeast and plant milk and any herbs you’d like to bump up the flavor. Mix this with the onions and nuts and spoon into the squash. Place in the oven and bake until tender.
Nutty Stuffed Squash
- 1 large Delicata squash
- 1 1/2 cup onion chopped
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1/3 cup almonds chopped or slivered (sub pecans, hazelnuts)
- 1/3 cup walnuts chopped (pine nuts or seeds)
- 1/4 cup chickpea flour
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 T plant milk
- 1-2 T nutritional yeast to your liking
- 2 tbsp fresh herbs to taste rosemary, sage, thyme or go sweeter with cinnamon, nutmeg and clove
- Wash your squash, halve it and scoop out the seeds.
- In a bowl, combine the chickpea flour, water, plant milk and nutritional yeast.
- In a skillet over medium high heat, saute onion and garlic until soft and golden. Add the nuts, herbs, a couple pinches of salt and stir to combine. Turn off the heat and pour in flour mixture.
- Stir to evenly mix. Spoon this into the squash halves. Depending on the size of your squash, you may have extra filling. If you do, cook the filling in muffin tins, it will make a mock mini quiche.
- Bake at 350 degrees for about 40 minutes or until the squash is tender when pierced.