Are you looking for a creamy cheese alternative? This hemp-pine nut spread hits the mark with its creamy texture and and herby goodness.
This can be used in just about every way you would use a dairy cheese spread, but it makes a stunning presentation when it is layered with pesto and tomato or olive tapenade, or with cranberry relish for the holidays. It can be used to stuff mushroom caps or top crisp bread.
It is also used to make a cream sauce for green beans or potatoes.
Herbed Hemp – Pine Nut Spread
- food processor
- 1 cup hemp seeds
- ½ cup pine nuts may substitute macadamia or cashews
- 1 T nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp of white miso can be omitted – add ½ t salt
- 1 tsp white balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp sage
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp rosemary
- Combine everything, except the herbs, in a food processor or blender and process until a thick paste forms.
- Start slowly with the water by adding 3 tablespoons initially and adding more if needed. When a creamy consistency is reached, add the herbs and pulse to combine. Serve this as a spread or dip.
- This can be layered with pesto, olive tapenade or cranberry relish to make a festive presentation.