I’ve tried several different meatless loafs and this one that I adapted from Oh She Glows is my favorite at this point.
The lentil walnut mixture can be used to make meatless balls as well. Be sure to press the mixture together tightly when patting it into the loaf pan or into balls. Try the balls with the mushroom Bolognese sauce or make the loaf slices into meatless loaf sandwiches, that are sure to bring back good childhood memories of grandma’s meatloaf sammy’s.
Lentil Walnut Loaf
- loaf pan
- food processor
- mixing bowl
- 1 cup lentils
- 1 cup walnuts
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 cup sweet onion chopped
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 cup celery (2 -3 stalks) minced
- 1 cup carrot (2-3) minced
- 1/3 cup apple shredded
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 3 tablespoons ground flax seed
- 1 cup oats
- Pinch of cayenne optional
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt and pepper
- ¼ cup tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- Grease a 5X9 loaf pan. Add lentils to a pot and cover with water. Cook at a simmer for 25 minutes. then drain and add to a large bowl, mash them with a fork into a chunky paste.
- While the lentils are cooking, warm oil in a skillet and add onion, celery, carrot and garlic. Cook stirring to prevent garlic from burning. Cook until onion and celery are tender, about 10 minutes, then stir in apple and herbs, stir for a couple minutes and remove from the heat.
- In a food processor or blender, pulse the oats into a coarse flour, then add the walnuts and pulse on and off to break them into small bits.
- Transfer the walnuts and oats to the lentils in the mixing bowl and add ground flax. Mix to combine.
- Stir in the skillet veggie mixture and season to taste. If the mixture seems dry, add 2 tablespoons of water and mix well. Getting your hands into the mix can help to combine and soften the texture of the mixture, also making sure that the mixture will hold shape. Add more water if needed.
- Transfer mixture to prepared loaf pan and press firmly to form a loaf.
- In a small bowl combine tomato paste and balsamic vinegar, mix well and spoon over the top of the loaf.
- Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 50-60 minutes, until edges are brown and its firm to the touch. Serve by the slice or crumble over salad.