This mushroom and wild rice soup is super creamy without the dairy found in traditional creamy soups. Oats and cashews are blended into a cream and added at the end of the cooking time.
This soup does not take much prep time, just enough to slice the mushrooms or you can purchase pre-sliced mushrooms and just dump them in.
I love a warm bowl of this soup when the temperature starts to drop, but it’s delicious enough for the holiday table.
Let me know if you give it a try.
Creamy Mushroom& Wild Rice Soup
- 1 lb sliced mushrooms
- 1 cup onion chopped
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 cup Wild Rice
- 3 cup water
- 4 cup veg broth
- 1/2 cup cashews
- 1/4 cup gf rolled oats
- 2 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp rosemary
- 1/2 tsp sage
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds optional for topping
- In a 4 qt saucepan, over medium heat, sauté the onion in a tsp of olive oil until softened. Add the garlic and stir for 1 minute so the garlic does not burn.
- Then add the mushrooms. Stir to combine and cook for about 10 minutes, stirring often. When the mushrooms have released their moisture and the pan is almost dry, transfer mushroom mixture to a bowl and set aside.
- Into the same pan, add the wild rice and water and a tsp salt. Bring to a boil, then turn heat down to low and simmer, cover pan. Cook for 30 minutes.
- While the rice is cooking, in a blender, combine cashews, oats and 2 cups of broth. Blend until smooth and creamy, about a minute.
- When the rice is tender, add the remaining 2cups of broth, the mushroom mixture, herbs and the cashew blend to the pot. Bring to a simmer and cook for another ten minutes. The soup is ready when thickened.
- Garnish with more fresh herbs and a sprinkling of sliced almonds, if desired.