This is a one pot meal, easy prep and then just wait for it to cook. The cook time will depend on the grain you use. Quinoa is quick cooking in about 15 minutes total, whereas, brown rice and farro will take about 30-40 minutes.
The picture is of the dish made with farro grain. Farro is an ancient Emmer wheat, so it does have gluten; however, it has not been hybridized like traditional wheat is. Some people with sensitivities can tolerate the ancient grains with gluten (farro, spelt, einkorn) but have trouble with the traditional wheat. It is not suitable for those who have Crohn’s or a true allergy to gluten or wheat.
Chickpea Hot Pot
- dutch oven
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 T olive oil
- 2/3 c uncooked quinoa farro, or brown rice
- 1 can chickpeas rinsed and drained
- 4 c vegetables broth
- ½ c orange juice
- 1 ½ c cauliflower small florets
- 2 c kale chopped
- Pinch salt
- If you use quinoa, everything can go in together at once, except kale. In a large pot, sauté onion in olive oil until the onion softens. Add the quinoa, chickpeas, broth, orange juice and cauliflower, stir well. Bring pot to a simmer for 10 minutes.
- If using farro or rice, after sauteing onion, add grain and 2 cups of broth and simmer covered for 20 minutes. Then stir in the orange juice, remaining broth, cauliflower, chickpeas and cook for 10 minutes.
- Add the kale at the end and cook for another 5 minutes until wilted. If the mixture gets too thick, add a little water. Season to taste.