This is a wonderfully refreshing cool starter or dessert soup. Perfect at the height of berry season or you can use frozen berries that have been thawed.
- 2-3 cups fresh berries, mixture is nice (strawberries, black, blue or raspberries)
- 1 kiwi, diced
- 1 apple, diced
- 1/2 cup cucumber, diced
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh mint
- 1 lemon, squeezed
- 11/2 cup fresh / frozen berries ( these are for blending so frozen and thawed is fine, I like strawberries and raspberries for this. Blueberries will thicken up because of all the pectin they naturally have, so use more l juice or water if using them.)
- 2 oranges, peeled and seeds removed or 1 cup juice
- 5 softened dates
- 1 cup water
- pinch of cayenne, optional
In a mixing bowl, add fresh berries, diced kiwi, apple, cucumber and mint. In a blender, combine the lemon juice, fresh/frozen berries, dates, oranges and water. Blend into a creamy sauce. Pour this over the diced fruit and serve or chill. Sprinkle with a pinch of cayenne when ready to serve.