This Lemon Berry Tart Won’t Disappoint!
With it’s refreshing lemon flavor and fresh bright berries, this plant-based lemon-berry tart won’t disappoint! Delicious, yet dairy free, refined sugar free and gluten free, so it’s practically appropriate for anyone. This beautiful tart is perfect for a special occasion, but easy enough to make as a treat for a weekday meal.
I make it with a raw crust, but if you have a favorite pastry crust, you can use it, just be sure to bake it before filling. You can also try using different milks for the filling, just keep in mind that the full fat coconut milk makes it’s really creamy.
For the berries, you can use fresh cut berries like the strawberries pictured, or any other berry or even cherries. Another variation is spreading a layer of Berry Chia Jam on the crust, then cover with the cooked milk filling.
So go ahead and treat yourself to this refreshing lemon tart.
- Small sauce pan
- 8” Tart pan or springform pan
- 1 cup oats
- 1 cup almond flour
- Pinch Salt
- 2 Tbsp maple syrup or honey
- 2 Tbsp Coconut oil melted
- 1-2 Tbsp water
Lemon Cream Filling
- 1 can full fat coconut milk
- 3 Tbsp maple syrup
- 1/2 cup oat or almond milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp lemon zest
- 2 Tbsp corn starch or arrowroot powder
- 1 tsp agar agar
- 1 cup fresh berries or 1/2 cup berry jam
For the crust:
- Add the oats, almond flour and salt to a food processor or blender and pulse to reach a flour texture.
- Add the sweetener and oil and pulse to combine.
- Add 1 Tbsp. of water and pulse, adding another only if the crust mixture does not stick together when pinched.
- Press into the bottom of a tart pan and up the sides slightly. Place in the freezer, while you make the filling.
For the filling:
- In a small saucepan, gently warm the coconut milk and maple syrup, stir in a pinch of salt.
- In a blender, combine the oat milk, lemon juice, zest, vanilla, cornstarch and agar agar and blend until smooth.
- Bring coconut milk to a simmer and then add the mixture from the blender while you whisk.
- Bring to a boil for 3 minutes, continue to whisk. Remove from the heat and let cool to room temp.
- Remove crust from freezer and add sliced berries or spread the crust with jam.
- When the filling has cooled, pour over the berries and crust and refrigerate for at least four hours or overnight.
- Garnish with fresh berries on top or drizzle with thinned jam.