Stuffed sweet potatoes are so good and surely satisfy when the seasons change, and the air becomes cooler. What is your favorite filling?
The Moroccan chickpea filling found here is satisfying with its warming flavors coming from the spices. They provide great fiber, complex carbohydrates and protein that give them staying power to keep you satisfied longer. They also support the microbiome, which influences the workings of the whole-body including brain function, moods and immune response.
This recipe doesn’t take any special know how to pull together. While the potatoes are roasting, prepare the filling in a skillet and everything is ready in less than an hour.
Moroccan Chickpea Stuffed Sweet Potato
- 2-3 Sweet Potatoes
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup onion diced
- 1 cup apple diced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 can chickpeas drained and rinsed
- 1 tsp coriander
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp cardamom
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp maple syrup
- 1/2 cup cilantro
- 1/4 cup scallions
- 1/4 cup yogurt
- 1/4 tsp smoked paprika
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Cut potatoes in half and place cut side down on parchment lined baking sheet.
- Roast for 30-40 minutes, until tender.
- While potatoes are roasting, make the filling. Saute the onion and apple in olive oil in a skillet over medium heat for 3 minutes. Add garlic and chickpeas, spices, salt and pepper to taste. continue cooking 5 minutes.
- Stir in the maple syrup and mix well, then turn off the heat.
- When the potatoes are ready, flip them over and slit the center of each with a knife and scoop filling over each one.
- Garnish with cilantro and scallions and drizzle with smokey yogurt sauce.
- To make the sauce, mix together yogurt, paprika, 2 tablespoons of water and pinch of salt