Eggplants, you love ’em or hate ’em. I hope you at least try them in this grilled salad. Eggplants grill up tender and tasty. Then stuff them with a light quinoa salad that satisfies and fills you up. Perfect for when the eggplants are ready to be picked from the garden or they are at every stand at the farmers market.
If the eggplants you find are too big to serve two when cut in half, you can cut the eggplant crosswise into thick slices and serve the quinoa salad on the side instead of stuffing them.
Grilled Eggplant Salad
- 2 medium sized eggplants
- 3/4 cup quinoa
- 1 1/2 cup water
- 4 Tbs olive oil, divided
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/2 cup parsley, chopped
- 1/4 cup red onion, diced
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- Combine the quinoa and water in a small pot and bring to a boil. Turn heat to low and cook ten minutes, covered. Remove from healt and let sit for 5 minutes.
- Cut the eggplants in half through the stem, brush 2 tablespoons of oil onto the cut sides and sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon of salt and pepper.
- Grill for 10 minutes, cut side down until a little charred and tender, flip and grill for another 5 minutes. Let cool for 5 minutes.
- Scoop out some of the eggplant from each half, leaving about a half inch wall. Chop the flesh and add it to a bowl along with the quinoa, onion, walnuts and parsley.
- Stir together the lemon juice, 2 tablespoon of olive oil, Dijon and 2 tablespoons of water, pressed or minced garlic, salt and pepper. Pour over quinoa and toss well.
- Fill the eggplants with the quinoa mixture and serve.