Pumpkin Pie Without Sugar
There is definitely a need to reduce sugar intake because the average American eats 150 pounds of it a year. But it’s often hard to find a good recipe to take the place of a traditional or family favorite. This pumpkin pie is made gluten free, without dairy, nuts, eggs, oil and refined sugar. And it tastes great!
I hope this helps those who are sensitive to the traditional ingredients and you find this a tasty alternative that everyone will enjoy!
Pumpkin Pie with Oat Crust
- food processor
- 1½ cups gluten free rolled oats
- ¼ cup flaxseed meal divided
- 3 tablespoons unsalted tahini sesame seed butter
- 1 cup unsweetened plant milk divided
- 15 oz. can pumpkin
- ½ cup chopped pitted whole dates
- ¼ cup date syrup or maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons arrowroot powder
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- For crust, in a food processor combine oats, 3 Tbsp. of the flaxseed meal, and the tahini. Cover and pulse until mixed.
- With processor running, slowly add 2 to 4 Tbsp. milk until mixture starts to cling together and is slightly moistened.
- Press onto the bottom and up the sides of 9-inch pie pan.
- For filling, combine the remaining 1 Tbsp. flaxseed meal with ¼ cup water; let stand 5 minutes.
- Add to food processor with pumpkin, ¾ cup milk, the dates, date syrup, arrowroot, pumpkin pie spice, vanilla, and salt. Cover and process until smooth.
- Spread filling into crust.
- Bake 50 to 55 minutes or until filling is set. Cool on a wire rack 30 minutes. Chill 2 to 8 hours.