Are you looking for a quick pumpkin dessert without all the sugar and dairy?This pumpkin mousse with coconut cream blends together quickly and only needs a short time in the fridge to firm up. It’s the perfect dessert to make for your holiday table or whenever you have an extra can of pumpkin puree in the pantry.
The coconut cream used in the recipe is from canned whole fat coconut milk, but you need to chill the can before opening. Refrigerating the can will cause the cream to separate and solidify, which then allows you to scoop out the cream. You can also purchase canned creme de coco, but strain off any water.
Dates are the main sweetener along with maple syrup. If you want to reduce the sugar impact even more, you can omit the maple syrup and increased the amount of dates. Be sure to pit the dates and let them sit covered with water for about ten minutes to soften them. Before adding them to the blender, strain the dates and squeeze out any extra water.
For a bakes pumpkin pie recipe without the sugar, take a look at this post >> Pumpkin Pie
Pumpkin Mousse with Coconut Cream
- food processor
- 1/2 cup dates, pitted soften in water
- ¾-1 cup coconut cream, from full-fat canned coconut milk chilled
- 3 tablespoon maple syrup
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 can organic pumpkin puree or cook your own
- 1 ½ teaspoons cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ginger
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 tablespoon coconut oil, melted
- 2 cups coconut cream, liquid removed chilled
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- pinch salt
Prepare the Mousse:
- Drain the dates and add to a blender with the coconut cream, maple syrup and vanilla. Puree to break down the dates.
- Add the remaining ingredients for the mousse, pumpkin, spices and coconut oil and blend until smooth. Pour into serving dishes and chill for 30 minutes or longer. You can also pour this into a raw nut/seed crust or prebaked pie crust.
Prepare the Cream:
- In a food processor, combine coconut cream, maple syrup, vanilla and salt, whip until combined well. Freeze for 20 minutes until slightly stiff and serve over mousse.