What is your morning delight? Do you start your day with a glass of water or a cup of coffee?
When you wake up, you’ve hopefully been asleep for seven plus hours and your body has been fasting during that time. Water is the fluid that bathes our cells and balances mineral salts. 50% of your body weight is typically water, so this is an important nutrient to supply. We lose water through breathing, urinating, bowel movements and sweating; it needs to be replenished.
Do you drink enough water? Depending on your raw fruit and veggie intake, which have high levels of water, the optimal amount is half your body weight in ounces. I hear from others that water just doesn’t taste good and it’s hard to drink. (You know who you are)
Maybe this concoction will help. Not only does it taste great, kind of like lemonade, but it’s also a wonderful way to wake up your cells in the morning and stimulate your digestive juices and liver. You can drink it all day long if you want.
If you are one who doesn’t drink enough water and you need more ways to get it in, a great way to make it taste good is by infusing it with fruit, cucumbers and herbs.
Give this drink a try and see if it helps you have more energy and focus starting your day. If you choose to add chia seeds, this will also help you satiate hunger between meals because of the fiber and good fat content of the chia seeds.
Chia Seed Ginger Lemonade
- 1 quart pure water or herb tea
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 inch ginger piece more or less depending on your taste
- 3 T chia seeds optional
- 2 T honey or maple syrup
- Place lemon juice and slices of ginger in a quart jar.
- Warm the water just to a boil. Pour into the jar, add honey and let cool. (If using tea, steep herbal tea for ten minutes then remove and allow to cool.)
- Add the chia seeds and whisk or shake the jar a few times to prevent the seeds from clumping.
- Enjoy warm or cold. Store covered in refrigerator.