I loved ice cream sandwiches as a kid and grown up, before eliminating dairy. The brownie thins in this recipe remind me of the soft chocolaty sandwich cookies that surround the traditional vanilla ice cream in that not-so-healthy treat I once enjoyed. This homemade nice cream sandwich recipe makes it possible to have a gluten-free dairy-free delicious and healthy treat that rivals the flavor and nostalgia I remember.
The parts of this recipe can definitely stand alone, but the combination is perfection.
Homemade Nice Cream Sandwich
- food processor optional
- baking sheet
For the Nice Cream:
- 1/2 cup cashews soaked 30 minutes in warm water, drained
- 1/4-1/3 cup water or plant milk
- 1 Tbs coconut oil melted
- 4 large bananas sliced, frozen
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3 Tbsp plant milk
For the Brownie thins:
- 1/2 cup + 2 T oat flour
- 1/4 cup cacao powder
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp xanthan or guar gum
- 1/4 cup avocado oil or mild olive oil
- 1/4 cup plant milk
- 1/4 cup mashed sweet potato or applesauce
- 1 Tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 Tbsp honey
To make the nice cream
- In a blender, combine the soaked and drained cashews with the melted coconut oil and water or milk and blend until thick and creamy. You may need to scrape the sides of the container or use a tamper to get the mixture to blend well. If needed add more liquid just to get the cashews to blend smooth. It should result in a thick cream.
- Then add the remaining nice cream ingredients and blend until it resembles soft serve.
- Line a food storage dish with plastic wrap and pour in the mixture. Use a spatula to spread evenly into the dish. Cover and freeze.
- It may be easier, if you don't have a high-speed blender, to make the cashew cream in a blender first, then transfer the mixture to a food processor and add the frozen bananas and remaining ingredients.
To make the brownie:
- Combine the dry ingredients in a mixing bowl., and whisk to remove any lumps.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the wet ingredients and pour over dry ingredients, use a spatula to combine well. the batter will be thick.
- line a 9x13 pan with parchment paper and pour in the batter, spreading it evenly to the edges of the pan.
- Place in a 350-degree preheated oven and bake for 13-15 minutes.
- Remove and allow to cool completely.
- Remove the nice cream from the freezer, allowing it to thaw lightly.
- Remove the brownies from the pan by flipping pan over and peeling the parchment paper. Cut the brownie in half so you have two 9x6.5 pieces.
- Spread nice cream over one side of the brownie to at least an inch thickness.
- Cover with remaining brownie and wrap in plastic and freeze for at least an hour.
- Remove and use a sharp knife to cut into desired sizes. rewrap in parchment or plastic and keep frozen until ready to eat.