Need a snack or quick fix that’s high in phytonutrients and good for you? Here you go! These cool lemon protein balls have everything you need for a clean snack packed with whole food nutrition.
These snack balls are made with nuts or seeds, dates, prunes or raisins, protein powder (this is the one I use) nut/seed butter, cinnamon, lemon zest and juice. Pretty simple, you just need a food processor to make it really easy. If you don’t have one, it takes a little more muscle, but it’s doable.
Give them a try and let me know what you think.
Cool Lemon Protein Balls
- food processor
- 1 cup dates, prunes, or raisins
- 1 cup nuts or seeds (brazil, walnuts, cashews, pumpkin, sunflower, hemp)
- 1 scoop plant based vanilla protein
- 1 Tbsp nut/seed butter (almond, cashew, sunflower)
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp lemon zest
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- Place the dates, prunes or raisins in the food processor and add your choice of nuts/seeds. Process by pulsing until finely ground.
- Add remaining ingredients except the lemon juice and mix until combined.
- Add the lemon juice only if needed to make the mixture softer and stickier so that it forms a dough.
- Shape dough into balls, about 2 tablespoons, and place in the freezer. Taste great and cools you off when eaten right out of the freezer. Keep refrigerated or frozen to extends the shelf life.
If you do not have a food processor:
- Lay the dates, prunes or raisins on a baking sheet and place in a warm oven, about 300 degrees, for about five minutes. This will soften them.
- Transfer them to a bowl and using a wooden spoon, mash them into a paste. This will take a little muscle. Once you have a paste, chop the nut or seeds you choose to use very fine and stir those into the paste.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients, mixing well to evenly combine the ingredients.
- Form into ball and refrigerat or freeze.