This creamy satisfying soup is really easy to pull together.
Cook everything in one pot, when the carrots are nice and soft, blend using an immersion blender or transfer the soup in batches to a blender. To get a super smooth soup, you need to blend a little longer than you think, usually a full minute, scrape the container sides and another 30 seconds of blending. Using the immersion blender does not get as smooth a texture as a blender. Just FYI.
To change the flavor a little, sometimes I’ll add a sweet potato and/or a cup of orange juice or both. But it’s delicious without!
Ginger Carrot Soup
- dutch oven
- blender or immersion stick blender
- 1 cup onion chopped
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 T fresh ginger diced (adjust to liking)
- 2 pounds carrots sliced
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 can full fat coconut milk
- Dry sauté or use a little oil to sauté onions until soft but not brown.
- Add garlic and ginger and cook stirring for 1 minute.
- Add carrots and just enough broth to cover the vegetables.
- Bring to a boil and then turn down heat to simmer for 20-30 minutes, until carrots are tender.
- Add the coconut milk and stir to incorporate.
- In batches, transfer the soup to a blender and blend until completely smooth. If desired, add more broth to reach consistency you like. Or use an immersion blender in the pot.
- Season with salt and pepper if desired.